2017 is on it’s way and you know what that means…resolution time! Even if you gave up on resolutions years ago, it’s never too late to become re-inspired! You have to admit, the idea of a fresh new year and an even more fabulous you sounds pretty good, right? Below are 5 resolutions for older adults to help get you thinking about what would make next year even better.
- Strengthen Connections Using Technology- If you are one of many adults who have shied away from the ever growing world of tech applications, you are not alone. Many seniors would like to be more connected to their friends and family but are not sure where to start. If you have not had the opportunity to explore such technologies such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, facetime, Skype, webcams, tablets texting or voice texting, now is the time to get connected. All of these can be utilized to stay connected with friends and family as well as reconnect with those who you have lost contact with over time. Sometimes it’s helpful to have guidance when learning a new skill, so recruit someone to help you get started and familiarize you with the product or other tech service.
- Begin a Journal- As a senior, you have gained wisdoms that only an older adult can. Your story is unique to you and no one has experienced life in exactly the same way as you have. Do not be concerned with how you write, the important thing is just to write something. Putting your experiences, thoughts, worries, hopes, dreams, disappointments, successes and even the mundane on paper is therapeutic in many ways. You may choose to write for your eyes only or you may be inspired to document your experiences for future generations.
- Preserve Family Photos- Do you have shoe boxes full of old family photos? Make this the year that you sort through, label and preserve your family heritage. Who else is going to know that the lady in pink behind those cute kids is your great Aunt Edna? And that cute kid with the goofy glasses, is that you? Have fun and take your time with it, find an album and create a special treasure that could last forever.
- Adopt a New Eating Habit- Begin adding more healthy foods to your diet such as fresh fruits and vegetables. The better we eat the better we feel. Food is our fuel, the right foods not only give us our get up and go, it also produces energy to make new skin cells, make immune cells, and even brain cells. So this new year, skip the snack aisle in the grocery store and browse a little longer in the produce section. Your mind and body will thank you for it later!
- Improve Fitness- You know we couldn’t make a resolution list without one of the most popular resolutions made year after year among Americans…fitness! There is nothing wrong with having the same resolution when it comes to fitness, after all, we should all strive to do better each year. Exercise is especially important the older we get. Regular physical exercise can do wonders for over all health including to reduce body pains, lower our chances of injury, improve medical conditions and be a mood enhancer to boot.
Do you have a resolution not listed above? Share your goal for 2017 with us in the comments below!