moth·er noun ˈmə-thər A woman in relation to a child or children to whom she has given birth.
That’s the Oxford Dictionary definition, but it really doesn’t begin to truly define the word, the person, or the relationship. As Mother’s Day approaches, it feels like the perfect time to think about our own personal definitions.
Heaven knows the mother/daughter relationship is one of a kind. It can be complex beyond words and certainly tempestuous at times, but if we’re lucky, it will be one of the most beautiful and important relationships of our lives. One way or another, mothers have such a strong bearing on the women we become. If we go on to have children of our own, their influence is omnipresent.
Tell Her Story
Although this year I won’t be spending Mother’s Day with my mom, she will be with me. She lives on in my heart and continues to inspire me to be the best person I can be. My sweet guardian angel, watching over me as I do what she would have done – try to make the best of a bad situation.
Each of us has a unique story and no matter what that is, we all have an opportunity to take the lemons we’ve been dealt and use them to make lemonade. By sharing our experience with others, we can try to help someone else on their own journey. And of course, for me personally, that also means educating the world about how Alzheimer’s ravages lives.
Feel Her Presence
On Mother’s Day, let us pause and simply honor the women who are in many cases our guiding lights. If you still have the opportunity, hold her hand and tell her what she means to you, for someday that opportunity will be gone. And if she has gone to Heaven, take comfort in knowing that her spirit remains with you, and in fact she lives on in you now and forever.
Honor Her Legacy
My mother was:
- My best friend & biggest cheerleader
- My most trusted confidante and adviser
- My steady source of unconditional love, even when I was at my least lovable (remember those tumultuous teen years??)
- The life of the party and loved by all who knew her
- A master in the kitchen
- My most influential role model
She taught me:
- The importance of a strong work ethic
- The meaning of loyalty and generosity
- How to be a strong, independent woman
- To never give up and that “this, too, shall pass”
- The innumerable merits of a having a positive attitude
- That it really is better to give than to receive
And, perhaps most importantly, she taught me how to be a mom…
Wishing all moms a Mother’s Day just as beautiful as they are…
Leave a comment and tell us how your mother influences (or influenced) your life!!